GP 100 tune up.

by ERSisk @, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 22:21 (1733 days ago)

Installed "Trigger Shims" Ruger DA Hammer, Hammer Dog, and Trigger shims in my GP 100 this afternoon. Excellent quality, color coded shims, easy installation. I polished out the drag marks on the sides of trigger and hammer while it was apart. Polished and squared the hammer dog and trigger contact surfaces. Seems to be smoother. going to put a couple hundred rounds through it before I make any other changes. As smooth as it feels I doubt if I change any springs.

GP 100 tune up.

by Otony, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 22:26 (1733 days ago) @ ERSisk

Where did you get the shims? Sounds like a valuable modification.

Otony

GP 100 tune up.

by E Sisk, Monday, July 22, 2019, 01:33 (1733 days ago) @ Otony

https://www.triggershims.com/ Extremely nice people.

GP 100 tune up.

by Otony, Monday, July 22, 2019, 20:56 (1732 days ago) @ E Sisk

Thanks for the tip!

Otony

GP 100 tune up.

by Charles, Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:32 (1732 days ago) @ ERSisk

shims are a good way to smooth things up. I am not a fan of after market lighter springs and I have had lots of problems with them over the years.

GP 100 tune up.

by E Sisk, Monday, July 22, 2019, 13:30 (1732 days ago) @ Charles

Agreed, I think smooth, crisp and reliable are much more important than lightweight when it comes to triggers. Spring weight is the last thing I experiment with after I have deburred and polished and trued up all mating surfaces. Less friction to overcome often allows slightly lighter springs to function properly. I have redone quite a few trigger jobs for friends who knew a 'guy' that thought a trigger job started and ended with swapping in 'lighter' springs. In the early 80's, when Jerry was beating us all with a revolver at our local matches, I asked him about reduced power springs. His reply was he wanted the strongest trigger return spring possible so the trigger reset could keep up with his trigger finger.

RSS Feed of thread