Winchester 71 Valuation please

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, June 17, 2019, 10:39 (1774 days ago)

An acquaintance is in a spot and has offered me his '71 but neither he nor I know what is a fair price. I believe it is a Deluxe but a recoil pad has been added. There is also a Lyman peep sight. Other than that, it is stock and in very good overall condition.

Along with the rifle he has dies, about 200 rounds of assorted used and new brass, a couple boxes of bullets and some loaded ammo.

I know it's a bit vague and there are no pictures (he's very non-tech) but GunBroker finished auctions are all over the map so I'm a bit at sea here. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

by Jared, Monday, June 17, 2019, 18:32 (1774 days ago) @ Hoot

I have watched them off and on for years. I would guess on the low end $1200 on up to about $2000 in the condition you describe. I see them listed for a lot higher but they are more collector pieces with all original parts.

Starline is making brass now so that is a positive.

by jgt, Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 06:15 (1774 days ago) @ Hoot

You need to find someone with a current (2019) copy of the "blue book" on gun values. It will give you a base list of gun values based on the per cent of the over all condition of the gun. In using this list you must be brutally honest to get the true base price. Then there will be a list of things to check for. These things will add to or subtract from that base value. Like does he still have the original sights? The recoil pad. Even after that you still come down to your best guess and what you are willing to pay and he is willing to take. Good luck.

Thanks guys.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, June 19, 2019, 10:07 (1772 days ago) @ Hoot

We'll see how this goes.

It is done.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 20, 2019, 11:54 (1771 days ago) @ Hoot

There is a .348 in residence here. I paid a bit more than I'd like but I am an admitted cheapskate and he got a little less than what he thought but he seems happy.

I haven't done a count of all the accessories but there's a BUNCH.

Update: 300+ empties, 45 loaded, 350+ bullets, dies....maybe I got a better deal than I was thinking.

Looking forward to the range report...

by Bri A, Thursday, June 20, 2019, 15:21 (1771 days ago) @ Hoot

Sounds like a very cool toy, have to love the old Win levers.

It is done.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, June 20, 2019, 17:43 (1771 days ago) @ Hoot

Very cool! New pig killer?:-P

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

It is done.

by Jared, Thursday, June 20, 2019, 22:37 (1771 days ago) @ Hoot

Sounds good. Now to find a willing hog.

You've got several hundred in components and dies there

by cubrock, Friday, June 21, 2019, 05:56 (1771 days ago) @ Hoot

.348 brass is expensive. Even after Starline started making it, it dropped to $2ish per. Don't know what you paid, but sounds like you did well.

It is done.

by jgt, Friday, June 21, 2019, 07:48 (1770 days ago) @ Hoot

If he got less than he wanted and you paid more than you wanted, it sounds like a pretty typical spot on price was reached. Not bad for someone starting out in the dark on the going price for that gun. Seems like you did well. Congratulations!!

It is done.

by Catoosa, Friday, June 21, 2019, 09:14 (1770 days ago) @ Hoot

Happy for you, Hoot. Those old M71s have always fascinated me. One of my NCOs at Hood many years ago had one and I got to shoot a few rounds through it one weekend, Solid but lively feel to it IIRC, and the sensation that you were shooting a rifle that could do just about anything you needed to do with it.

As you said, you wanted less, he wanted more....

by passing by, Friday, June 21, 2019, 14:19 (1770 days ago) @ Hoot

Sounds about like a perfect price. And unlikely you will bump into anyone in woods or at range with a duplicate. And if you did, it likely would result in some interesting conversation.

Thanks guys.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, June 21, 2019, 21:10 (1770 days ago) @ Hoot

There's about $500-600 in brass, bullets and dies. I didn't actually realize until I pawed through all the boxes of stuff. That makes it a real decent deal. I've wanted one for a long time now so that itch has been scratched.

Piggies for sure!! It deserves that at the very least.

Winny 71......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, June 22, 2019, 19:48 (1769 days ago) @ Hoot

14-15 years ago I picked up a like new 71 with a big box of dies, brass, loaded ammo, bullets etc for $650, big rifle, really liked it. But a few years after getting it the itch for a Freedom Arms got the better of me and I traded it in on a FA 41 Mag, my first FA. Miss that rifle, big rifle, felt really solid in your hands and smooth as butter action, would have been fun to chase piggies with it.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

I'll get it shooting good and you can use it in the spring!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, June 23, 2019, 13:26 (1768 days ago) @ Gunner

Seriously.

I'll get it shooting......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, June 23, 2019, 18:46 (1768 days ago) @ Hoot

Thanks for the offer but I am going after Rams in 2020, if I was going after piggies I would take you up on the offer. Very much like to shoot it in October though : )

Gunner

--

Pretty sure a .348 will take a ram...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, June 23, 2019, 19:01 (1768 days ago) @ Gunner

;-)

.348 will take a ram...

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, June 23, 2019, 20:19 (1768 days ago) @ Hoot

True, almost shot one this year with the 416, that chocolate one was really tempting. Leaning toward the 41 Mag Marlin for the ram in 2020.

Gunner

--

That'll "probably" do as well.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, June 24, 2019, 08:47 (1767 days ago) @ Gunner

:-P

RSS Feed of thread