The Unfortunate has happened...

by sjcollins βŒ‚ @, SW Missouri, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 19:50 (1791 days ago)

I went to the doctor today, as I've been having some issues with swelling and pain in my right thumb, which is my gun hand. He told me what I thought he would, I've got arthritis in the first joint. Not life threatening at all, it just means I have to adjust how much and how often I shoot my big guns. More Specials, fewer Magnums. :) More steel guns, fewer of the lightweight ones. Well, it could be worse, and it's just part of getting older.

Yep tis so

by Charles, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 21:06 (1790 days ago) @ sjcollins

There is a price to pay for shooting those big boomers over decades. You can't tell the youngsters because they know it all and are full of testosterone. You are luck it is just your thumb. This kind of stuff can also do a number on your elbow tendons. My "big gun" now is a 45 Automatic of the Colt variety.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, May 31, 2019, 07:17 (1790 days ago) @ sjcollins

Art has invaded my left thumb, right hand has a swollen "median nerve" that Dr. hasn't been able to resolve, physical strength is suffering and front sight wobble is a real problem...getting old brings these things. But I still get to shoot :-D
Carry on Brother.

This might help...

by Catoosa, Friday, May 31, 2019, 09:51 (1790 days ago) @ sjcollins

OK you guys, don't think I'm nutty for suggesting this - I didn't think it would work until I tried it. I began having arthritis pain in my left thumb joint a few years ago, likely stemming from an old injury. After trying numerous remedies, none of which worked, I made a bracelet out of twisted copper wire and began wearing it on my left wrist. It seemed to help a little. Then I found a copper ring that was large enough to fit on the affected thumb. After wearing both the ring and the bracelet for a few days the pain in the joint subsided and I have had very little trouble with it since. I've since upgraded to some better-looking copper jewelry than my homemade stuff.

I know this sounds like witchdoctor hoodoo, but danged if it doesn't seem to work. If I were to take a SWAG about how it works, I would say that the two copper objects set up a weak galvanic current between them that runs through the affected joint and somehow reduces the pain and swelling.

Good luck in your battle with old Arthur. Gettin' old ain't much fun but it beats the alternative!

by Norm, Monday, June 03, 2019, 09:57 (1787 days ago) @ sjcollins

I experienced"trigger finger" earlier this year and it drastically affects how I shoot. As a result, I've played with several different grips with which I can keep shooting my j-frames effectively.

The discontinued Fitz Gunfighters are a close second in terms of comfort and shootability to the radical Delta Ergo Grip. I need to do some more shooting before deciding what grip to keep on which gun.

Note how much of the gap behind the trigger is filled, to the bottom of the rear of the trigger guard, however, the belt-and-suspenders Tyler k-frame adapter and Herrett Shooting Aces actually feel pretty good if my little finger is tucked under the bottom of the grip.

Recoil has also become a problem and the heaviest loads I shoot in the 640 PRO are 38Spl +P's, no 357's. The alloy M37 and 2 flat latch j-frames shoot only factory 148gr HBWC's, which are also my carry loads in those guns. I'll occasionally shoot heavier loads in the Model 60, mostly standard 158 SWC or 130 FMJ's.

And my big bore handgun which I shoot is a lightweight Commander with 185 gr SWC midrange target loads.[image]

ALWAYS DO

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, June 03, 2019, 20:22 (1786 days ago) @ Norm

WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO KEEP SHOOTING

Turmeric powder capsules.

by E Sisk, Tuesday, June 04, 2019, 23:26 (1785 days ago) @ sjcollins

It may be just a spice, but it really does works for Arthritis pain and inflammation.

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 08:23 (1785 days ago) @ E Sisk

Unfortunately, Turmeric interferes with some medications.
Before taking Turmeric check with your pharmacist to see if you take any medications that would be affected.

I CAN'T HAVE

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 11:42 (1785 days ago) @ MS

LICORICE JELLY BELLYS BECAUSE OF INTERFERENCE

I can't have grapefruit for same reason. nt

by Norm, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:48 (1785 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

interferance

That sir, is truly a shame....

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 16:06 (1785 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

To be denied licorice anything is almost too cruel. ;-)

I hope this finds you well,

That sir, is truly a shame....

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 19:02 (1785 days ago) @ MS

Licorice free but doing well

by E Sisk, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 16:09 (1785 days ago) @ MS

Absolutely, check with your physician before adding any supplement to your diet. But for those without interactions, Turmeric does work.

by sjcollins βŒ‚ @, SW Missouri, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 22:40 (1784 days ago) @ E Sisk

My wife uses turmeric powder sometimes, I'll give it a try.

by Slow Hand βŒ‚ @, Indiana, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 04:33 (1784 days ago) @ sjcollins

I take it daily. I was taking 800mg of ibuprofen at least once a day if not more. Now I take a turmeric along with multi vitamin and an extra vitamin C pill every morning. No more ibuprofen unless it’s a really rough day. This is for knees with no cartilage, blown disc in my back and other general ills of being young and tough too many years ago...

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread