Medical report.......

by Otony, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 17:12 (4342 days ago)

.....or perhaps more importantly, a physical fitness report.

Since the stent surgery two months ago, I have been going to cardio rehab two or three times a week. They monitor my BP before and during exercise, along with my heart rate and a graph of my heartbeat.

Before the surgery, my BP was usually around 140 something over 70 something. Nowadays I am averaging 110 over 62 or thereabouts. That is w/o any medication for high BP by the way.

During exercise, my BP rises of course, and is typically about what it was at rest before the surgery! When I run sprints (more on that in a moment) it gets up to about 170 or so, over 70 something.

I start at by doing some stretching exercises then get on the stationary cycle for 12-15 minutes. Low resistance but high revolutions. From there I go to the elliptical machine for a 25-30 minute jog. I jog at a medium fast rate for 4minutes then sprint fast for 1 minute. I alternate like that for 5 or 6 cycles then return to the bike for another 12-15 minutes to cool down, still at high revolutions however.

When I finish the bike I do a weight training circuit on 8 different machines, then cool down with a short dumbbell routine. The whole thing takes me a little less than an hour and a half if all the machines are available. I am scheduled for 3more visits then I switch over to a self-governed program at the YMCA for three months. I'm really looking forward to the Y as I can go at different times, and best of all, more frequently. I look forward to these workouts, and feel terrific! In fact, if I have to skip a session due to a schedule conflict, it is very disappointing!

Thus far my weight has dropped 23 pounds and my waist has shrunk 2 inches, maybe a bit more as my old pants were kinda tight. I have energy that I can't recall having for a loooong time. Funny how that blood flow restriction was slowing me down in so many ways.

Still want to lose more weight, and the YMCA will probably be the place to accomplish that hopefully. Bob, you will be happy to know that my road bicycling is now more than just a few passes around the neighborhood too!

Going in for a new cholesterol count in a few days. My last numbers were amazingly improved, so we are hoping for a further reduction this time. Life is good! When I posted asking for your prayers before the surgery, I had zero clue that this would be the results. Heck, I have even garnered a few flirtatious compliments from ladies along the way. I must be looking better! LOL!

Otony

Medical report.......

by John Meeker @, Sad to hear that our culture has lost, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 17:38 (4341 days ago) @ Otony

Good on ya, ma fren'. Thar regimen will save and prolong y'r years. I was a walking dead man 'bout five-six years ago. The results of rationed exercise and medical monitoring are worth every bit of such effort.

A month ago my doc said, "I can't believe these numbers and your fitness. You've made yourself over."

I gotta tell ya, the spectre of imminent leg amputation, blood clots to the brain, and a slow trim from there is strong incentive.

Congrats

Cardiac Rehab after my stents...

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 18:37 (4341 days ago) @ Otony

...did me a world of good! I might die tomorrow, but I felt WAY better after than before.

Hang in there! You too, John.

Keep it up...........

by Byron, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 19:56 (4341 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

Excercise is the fountian of youth...

wonderful!! You are doing just like i would think you would

by cable, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 20:00 (4341 days ago) @ Otony

-- systematically tackling the problem with good cheer and discipline......i believe you are leaving this problem behind you for good....and will continue to feel better and enjoy life even more ! congratulations!!

Good news!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 20:48 (4341 days ago) @ Otony

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Excellent!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, June 08, 2012, 07:29 (4341 days ago) @ Otony

Glad to hear of your improvements.

Excellent! Happy to read this great news, and I'm

by BCodd, Friday, June 08, 2012, 12:21 (4341 days ago) @ Otony

Delighted that the tough regimen is paying off.

Keep it going, and don't be afraid to switch it up as you need more challenges.

Great results....been there and the rehab and continued

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, June 08, 2012, 12:39 (4341 days ago) @ Otony

activities really help. Keep it doin' it.

RSS Feed of thread