I smell some thing funny

by uncowboy, Friday, April 26, 2019, 18:24 (1826 days ago)

That's what the wife said to me when she walked into the house. I dismissed it because I too smelled something outside when I walked the dog the day before. I went to the basement to use the dremel to finish a knife project and I also smelled something. My over sized freezer died at 5 years old and I lost 2 years of viddles. 40 Lb of ground venison 30 lb sausage 25 lb hamburgers 15 lb meatballs 20 lb trout to be smoked and 4 store bought pork buts with 20 lb pork fat was going to do a big run of sausage kielbasa and pepperoni. several lbs of venison roasts several packs of chicken and some packs of steak and about 30 lb of pork tenderloin some hole some sliced. 1 flat of blueberries and other miss. Thank GOD for the vacuum sealer because without it the house would be unlivable.I had this happen once when I was much younger. Tomorrow clean up and the catfish and turtles will be eating well. Going to be hard to catch up I have been trying to live off what I killed for a few years now.

That didn't make me chuckle...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 17:11 (1825 days ago) @ uncowboy

but rather feel a bit of your pain. Losing a bunch of hard won food is not fun, not to mention the expense of replacing the appliance. Hope your next one lasts longer and may you have good hunting as you replenish your stock.

On a somewhat related note (as to stocking a freezer with variety), way back in the later part of the 20th century we had duck, chicken, deer, cougar, goat, beef and perhaps another one or two species of meat producing critters.

ONLY FIVE YEARS! OURS MADE

by SIXGUNNER, Sunday, April 28, 2019, 08:32 (1825 days ago) @ uncowboy

IT 48 YEARS THROUGH THREE STOVES AND THREE REFRIGERATORS.

I smell some thing funny

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, April 28, 2019, 17:39 (1824 days ago) @ uncowboy

Wow, that's a lot of lost food. Sorry about the freezer, they don't make them as good as they once did.

I smell some thing funny

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Monday, April 29, 2019, 08:48 (1824 days ago) @ uncowboy

I feel your pain, having replaced a six year old refrigerator that died last week. My losses weren't as great as yours by any means, but the notion that a fridge would die in less than a couple of decades is completely foreign to me. In our hunting cabin we have two fridges, both well over thirty years old. They run only when we're there, which is about the worst thing you can do to one. Nonetheless, they still work reliably.

I dread the day when my washer or dryer (both old enough to vote) dies.

Dang! Sorry to hear this happened to you.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 29, 2019, 21:41 (1823 days ago) @ uncowboy

sell the house move out West. It's your only good option.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Consider One Of These...

by ~JM~, Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 10:09 (1802 days ago) @ uncowboy

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=freezer+alarm&crid=25T9GW3Y40DNZ&sprefix=freezer+%2C...

Been thinking about buying one. Your post is motivational.

RSS Feed of thread