Colt SAA 2nd Gen 4 3/4" .45 Colt nickeled production query..

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 11:44 (1850 days ago)

I know there are not many, maybe a couple or five hundred, maybe thousands made, in short, I am without a clue. I do not own detailed reference works for only one gun. All I know is it is the least likely to rust from sloppy maint and is the most handy size.

But, will be selling mine as just am not using the thing. Had a couple years ago, finest kind gun, but, am getting too old to mess with inevitable breakage, eventually fitting a new bolt, etc, and the gun is simply too nice for me to want to risk timing a bolt, fitting a hand, or whatever, as it essentially is like new.

I am all for shooting great guns, but to go out and commence messing up what appears an unfired gun, at my age, seems criminal, when what it needs is a younger shooter in order to have an owner who will spend quality time, decades and decades, shooting the thing. It feels as if I would be simply marring it up, just for the "honors" of being first to have at it, while not really taking it places, carrying it, using it, the way it was meant to be used.

Also am interested in value ideas...saw a far more scratched up with boogered screws similar gun of same 1960-1961 vintage, sell for essentially 3 grand...a storefront operation who has a large inventory of 1st and 2nd Gen told me they generally offer about half of projected sales price, where they can discount a bit if it languishes, and then opined they would go $2200 or more, going by photos.

Are they actually moving for $4000?...I am not seeking that, but, it would be good to know, or hope, for a buyer, and I say hope, as have been in this long enough to know top dollar takes a lot of patience and a special buyer, otherwise, it will realistically move for less, since most cannot afford such, and even those who may, also love to haggle.

Back to possibly anyone with references, the gun is rather unique to me, as it was made when Colt transitioned from the flattop hammer to the rounded top hammer, however, the firing pin is the old large fixed cone type, rather than the S&Wish concave floater used from circa 61 onward. My assumption being they rounded old hammers initially, as with this one. The other hammer style is drilled/milled differntly for the spring, crosspin, etc, in any case.

Any clues from anyone as to total numbers, or how common the hammer style, will be most appreciated.

Having major problems with free hosting lately, but can easily send pics in addition to these couple of experimental free hosting pics, they actually would upload, had planned on attaching more of same. but...likely tied to me deleting embedded links, which hosts do not like, and they keep tallies.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Colt SAA 2nd Gen 4 3/4" .45 Colt nickeled production query..

by SIXGUNNER, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 11:50 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

APPROXIMATELY 1,500 2ND GEN 4-3/4" .45 SINGLE ACTIONS. GETTING TOO OLD ?? I WILL BE 80 IN LESS THAN TWO MONTHS AND I'LL BET THAT IS OLDER THAN YOU. I'M NOT TOO OLD TO SHOOT ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T BEAT ME UP.

Thank you, Mr. Taffin..

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 12:00 (1850 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

More like, not lugging a SAA anywhere, besides a range, the range trips are getting fewer, even thouh I am 20yrs younger, 60 is getting too old for me to break in and keep new guns. I have others I shoot which are not near as problematical as to possible breakage. It needs someone with a real lifetime ahead of them, where they build history together.

As for that bet, I am older than the gun.

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 12:11 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

maybe not but much, but, I am older.

I am only 76.5 years old, but

by Charles, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 12:49 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

I could bond with that sixgun in about ten minutes.

I am only 76.5 years old, but

by SIXGUNNER, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 12:59 (1850 days ago) @ Charles

Bet it would only take you half that time!

Thank you, Mr. Taffin..

by sixgunner, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 12:53 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

I break in a gun by simply shooting it. I don't understand your concern about breakage and I really don't understand your thinking 60 is too old!!! Unless you have some real physical problems which are causing you concern you need an attitude adjustment about age! The round top hammers arrived in 1959-1960 which is just about right for the age of your .45.

Again, it should be somebody younger,

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 17:58 (1850 days ago) @ sixgunner

who will spend more time with it. All I would be doing is de-newing the gun for a relatively short shooting career with the think, whether 5yrs or 20yrs, when I would hope someone ends up with it who will spend a true lifetime with it. I have loved single actions including several 1st and 2nd Gen, but, nowadays my "needs" are far more utilitarian. Will let someone else have the romance. While she is still good lookin'!

by Charles, Wednesday, March 06, 2019, 09:06 (1849 days ago) @ really want to know...

It is none of my business when, why and if a fellow sells a gun. That said, I do know a little about the aging process and how humans deal with it.

There are two kinds of folks that hit their "senior" years. Those that live dying and those that die living. The difference is our attitude toward the whole process. I have my fair share of age related health issues, but I am still moving forward and looking forward. I can think of nothing better than to die at a shooting range, trying to wear out a firearm that can't never be worn out, at least by me. I want to die "Con pistola en la mano" as they said down here on the Border.

All of life is a head game, but even more so as the years roll by. My body may roll snake eyes, but not my spirit, mind and soul.

by sixgunner, Wednesday, March 06, 2019, 16:35 (1849 days ago) @ Charles

WELL SAID!

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, March 07, 2019, 08:00 (1848 days ago) @ Charles

Good words Charles.

age is directly related to hiw much a gun used

by really want to know..., Thursday, March 07, 2019, 10:26 (1848 days ago) @ Charles

all other things being equal. I have more guns to shoot, too many to shoot with any regularity.

I am humble enough to know when others might make better owners, more deserving of a fine classic where it will not spend majority of life gathering dust.

The responses are appreciated, but not accurate is inference anyone selling something is mentally defective and possessed some manner of death wish. My life is quite full, and I simply have more to it than ordering my life primarily around shooting and caring for guns.

Lack of using something generally a sign to me that one has too much stuff, and stuff owning the owner, rather than other way around. When I have too much to take care of, where every day could be filled servicing the machines, it seems clear to me who is the boss. To that end, I will be selling the gun to a more worthy owner, hopefully.

age is directly related to hiw much a gun used

by Charles, Thursday, March 07, 2019, 11:44 (1848 days ago) @ really want to know...

I agree that to much stuff is to much stuff and absent a good motive, the excess should be passed on. In the past two years I have given away about three dozen guns to family and friends. I stil have a goodly number and adequate for my needs for decades to come.

That said, nothing was said about you being mentally defective or having a death wish. That is a gross and inaccurate distortion of what I said. I realize you don't like what I said, for I didn't expect you to. My experience is that folks in general resent correction, but that is not cause to misrepresent what was said. Resent it if you will, but resent what I said and not what I didn't say.

further condition notes.

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 11:56 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

which meant to add, but frustrated trying to post photos. Has lightest scuffs to mirror finish where it contacts the cardboard, screws appear unturned, no true scratches such as thru nickel plate, simply handled, turned, and appears unfired. Cannot vouch for latter since it was not obtained for my 1st birthday, and it was made to shoot, anyhow, the fired status mainly of use in determining service life, which is about as good as it gets in this case.

Further photos working now....I hope.

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 12:19 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

[image]

[image]

[image]

and even further photos...

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 12:33 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

these are about as unflattering as possible.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

by Ken O'Neill, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 14:38 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

I'm 75, and I'm already bonded with it, through the photos. Not 4 grand bonded, mind you, but appreciative.

by SIXGUNNER, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 14:59 (1850 days ago) @ Ken O'Neill

I REMEMBER WHEN THEY WERE $125!!

Yes but that was back in ancient history, before 1990, even.

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 17:46 (1850 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

nt

Yes, that would be la-la land attachment...nt

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 17:52 (1850 days ago) @ Ken O'Neill

nt

No, they aren't going for $4K and that shop knows it

by cubrock, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 15:48 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

They also know that they can make easy money at $2200, while affording them the opportunity to swing for the fence. I'd give $2200 for it in a heartbeat for resale. More likely will sell for somewhere between $2500 and $3000 for a quick sale. Over $3000 if you have a lot of patience and/or get lucky with the right guy.

For a comparison of what commands the upper end of a gun like yours, look at this one - 1956 production (which brings a premium) with ivory stocks (which brings a nice premium). Gun sold for essentially $4600.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/798920287

My feelings exactly...Thank you!!.....nt

by really want to know..., Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 17:44 (1850 days ago) @ cubrock

nt

You are welcome- when you have a price I'd love to know it

by cubrock, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 18:20 (1850 days ago) @ really want to know...

steve@catawbacollectibles.com

Thanks!

RSS Feed of thread