1911 grip update 1....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, March 02, 2019, 20:57 (1880 days ago)

Spent the day in the shop working on 1911 grip details and jigs, making notes, figuring measurements, trying to work out which operations that can easily be repeatable with correct procedures, drilling the screw holes, major pain, so easy to mess this up…..first operation was to make a set of 1/8” thick plexiglas overlays.

[image]

This is to draw the outline of the grip panel on wood while being able to see the grain and choose the best location for the outline and be consistent in marking all the notches, drill holes etc. And yes Rob Leahy I included the plunger tube notch : )

The overlay worked nicely and should be a big time saver in the future. Trying to find a good way to do the main spring housing pin and mag release notches took a little time but worked ok, but will need refinement down the road. Doing the plunger tube notch is another story, tried two ways, neither was great but I will try a different way/cutter next time.

Once I got a test set of panels cut out of some ¼” oak it was sanding time. I loose enough skin off my finger tips doing knife making so it was jig time. I have a nice adjustable tension jig designed but still needs a little refinement before I start milling it out so I made a simple holder out a piece of ¾” square aluminum, drilled and tapped for two 8/32 screws, turned down the screw head radius to fit the panel holes.

[image]

Started with a 100 grit belt on the slack belt setup on the grinder, as I worked on the panel radius trying to keep the front and back edges even, moved to a 220 grit belt for final shape then onto hand sanding with 400 grit sandpaper for final surface finish using a ¾” square piece of wood with a ½” foam rubber attached for smooth blending of panel face.

Here are the proof of concept test panels with a coat of boiled linseed oil……

[image]

Learn a lot today, made some strides, finalized some things, answered some questions, came up with new questions and still need to work out some operations. I can and could make them free hand but with a few jigs and stream lined procedures I can save hours of my time in the shop, I currently have 7 knife blanks sitting on the bench staring at me.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

1911 grip update 1....

by Charles, Saturday, March 02, 2019, 21:55 (1880 days ago) @ Gunner

Good progress! Keep it up!

Really like the logical approach....

by Bri A, Sunday, March 03, 2019, 08:38 (1879 days ago) @ Gunner

Trying to make the process streamlined and efficient is a great plan.

Thanks, I thnk so.

by Gunner @, St Louis, Monday, March 04, 2019, 20:29 (1878 days ago) @ Bri A

nt

--

Good work.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, March 03, 2019, 09:38 (1879 days ago) @ Gunner

I assume you'll be working with some ironwood in the near future?

One Guess.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, March 03, 2019, 17:25 (1879 days ago) @ Hoot

I am so addicted to Desert Ironwood, have a small stockpile but that doesn't stop me from buying more : )

Lately I have been selective on the DI I buy with a eye toward using it for 1911 grips, size and grain pattern so yes Desert Ironwood is in the future....almost today but a little self control kicked in, I know hard to believe, and I work on building a notching jig. Here are a couple of my recent DI buys...

[image]

[image]

Gunner

ps
If you click on my Instagram account link below you can see more of the wood I have bought recently, you don't have to be a member or have the app installed to view.

--

One Guess.....

by Murphy @, Sunday, March 03, 2019, 18:06 (1879 days ago) @ Gunner

Great work Gunner. Stunning to say the least.

Murphy

Hey Murphy.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Monday, March 04, 2019, 20:43 (1878 days ago) @ Murphy

I haven't forgot about you.......next up on the list of "To Do" things is a Les Baer pattern template, I will give you dibs on the first set I make.

Gunner

--

Hey Murphy.....

by Murphy @, Monday, March 04, 2019, 21:05 (1878 days ago) @ Gunner

Awesome my friend!

Thanks!

Murphy

VERY nice!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 04, 2019, 08:55 (1878 days ago) @ Gunner

Some amazing grain there.

Nice! I saw that clear plexi and thought you were going to

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, March 10, 2019, 17:00 (1872 days ago) @ Gunner

make some Sweetheart Panels. I like what you did. let me know when you have some wood panels to sell.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Thats funny........

by Gunner @, St Louis, Monday, March 11, 2019, 20:37 (1871 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That was the exact thought I had when I was cutting the plexi templates out, recently read a article online about the old style sweet heart grips used by troops on 1911's. If I could find the right kind of plastic I might try it down the road, be pretty cool on an old 1911 or early 1911A1.

Gunner

--

RSS Feed of thread