Way more fun than golf.....

by Byron, Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 09:11 (4343 days ago)

My son invited me to a 3-gun zombie shootout last weekend down in Wichita where he lives and I had to go, of course.

As everyone knows, the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us and one must seize every opportunity to neutralize (they cannot be killed) zombies where ever they are found.

The event was held at a really nice gun club (Air Capital) and expertly managed by Thunderbird Tactical. Course of fire was 250 rounds of pistol and 200 rounds of rifle. They provided Benelli shotguns and ammo for anyone who wanted to use them…..fun.

The event was attended by a big crowd…over a hundred shooter of every type and size….much camo and 5.11 gear….lots of really big fat guys in brand new ACUs and body armor….once they got down into a prone position to engage the long range zombies they had more than a bit of trouble getting back up….high speed gamers with multi-color race guns and red holsters….many nylon drop holsters strapped to the thigh…quite a few MP types from the nearby air base…I had forgotten the Air Force still wears shined black boots…...a great friendly group….very careful gun handling by all….all good…

A couple of clear observations from the day….the only pistol malfunctions were with GM style .45s…XDs, MPs and Glocks all ran without missing a beat…..plastic pistols rule for shooting zombies…..all .22 RF ARs tied up during their string…everyone…the only .22s that worked was a couple of 1022s…..standard rifle fare was the AR 5.56mm in different layouts from cheap parts M4geries to high zoot three gun racers…2 AKS…1 M1a….he got tied up trying to engage a zombie in a narrow hallway….rifle way too long to be handy….my PRT GI91…it ran perfect…it does not lock back on an empty magazine… just reloaded before it ran dry and never had any issues….the metal stock was not a problem….200 rounds of 7.62 ball wearing a tee shirt and did not have any soreness or a mark on my shoulder…timers and range officers quickly learned to stay away from the right side of the G3…those big empties come out very hot and very hard…..most shooters used low power scopes or red dots…..they did give an edge for fast shooting….my son and I had the only red dot on our pistols….once you get the hang for them…they are the way to go….

The favorite stage was started from a car….no windshield….pistol on the dash…at the tone draw and engage 5 zombies in front….exit the vehicle and reload….move around a wall of blue barrels and engage 5 more zombies…return to the vehicle and place your sidearm in the trunk and draw and charge a shotgun and move around another barrel wall and engage 5 more zombies…par was something stupid like 30 seconds….I got all the zombies but it did take a bit longer than that for me…

These events are becoming more and more popular around the country….something that should not be missed…. get some….
[image]
Byron

Way more fun than golf.....

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 10:40 (4343 days ago) @ Byron

I thought about going to that but had way to much to do last weekend. Glad you enjoyed it!

Eject eject eject

by JLF @, Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 11:21 (4343 days ago) @ Byron

Long ago, a friend aquired one of the first HK91s in country. To we disciples of Garands, early M1As, and BM-59s, it was grounds for hoots and wiseceracks. Not only that, but the thing was, as you say, lethal on the right side. We kept wanting to set up a chrony for the brass! Waay too far into the weeds to chase, and it fluted the brass anyway, making the cases ugly, if not difficult to reload. The owner eventually expired in an untimely fashion, the rifle is still running like a watch...

JLF

G-3, HK91, CETME, Clones of same...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 12:54 (4343 days ago) @ JLF

have proven to me to be as reliable as an AK. Missing some of the refinements of some of the more popular EBrs... they do work well. I have found that Silver bear sp ammo works VERY well.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Still futzing with my PTR 16".

by BCodd, Home, for another 23 hours, Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 13:18 (4342 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Haven't given up on it yet, despite the tight chamber and shallow flutes. I want to like it, but dagnab it's front-heavy and the trigger feels to be in the vicinity of 20 lbs.

Maybe I ought to sell it and get a SxS 20 gauge, which would be more sporting against a covey of the living dead.

by bmize, Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 14:35 (4342 days ago) @ BCodd

Send the trigger to Bill Springfield

http://www.triggerwork.net/hk.html

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 15:22 (4342 days ago) @ BCodd

I've got a very nice Stevens 20 ga 311 I'd trade ya!! ;-)

RSS Feed of thread