Dr Arad Harvey Mann

by anachronism, Sunday, April 23, 2017, 17:56 (2559 days ago)

Hi everybody! I'm trying to locate information on Dr A H Mann, who was an assistant surgeon on Custers Yellowstone and Black Hills expeditions. I saw a rifle (original 1866 Winchester!) at a gun show that was inscripted to Dr Mann, and I'm very curious about the man. As far as I can tell, Dr Mann did not take part in the Little Bighorn matter, and died about 50 years later in Kansas City. Any leads for information will be greatly appreciated.

Dr Arad Harvey Mann

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, April 23, 2017, 21:30 (2559 days ago) @ anachronism

There was a surgeon who was a in the 26th Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was in the Toronto, Kansas GAR post. His father was Dr Albert Mann and "Harvey" might have been a medical student at the beginning of the Civil War, his father was also a physician. He was born 5 Oct 1841 in Shelby, Ohio and actually died in Kansas City on 3 Apr 1915. He married Eleanor Eades in 1876. He had been mustered out as 1st Asst Surgeon in the 26th Illinois in 1865 at Louisville, KY. AKA Harvey A. Mann.

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

That's the guy....

by anachronism, Sunday, April 23, 2017, 22:12 (2559 days ago) @ Hobie

That's the guy, I guess a great nephew of his wrote a book about Dr Mann, but seems to have disappeared. I can't find any trace of him after 2014 or so. I've tracked the family down to Cincinnati, OH & Covington KY but would rather not disturb them. As I mentioned before, DR Manns 1866 Winchester, which was presented to him by the 7th Cavalry when he left the service was at a local gunshow. It's always neat when you find an inscribed rifle, and can find out the history of it's owner. Apparently he also served in the Spanish-American War, and was into politics.

Thank Hobie

I'll find out some more and get back to you. VERY interest-

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, April 24, 2017, 17:43 (2558 days ago) @ anachronism

ing fellow. Imagine, OJT as a doctor/surgeon!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I'll find out some more and get back to you. VERY interest-

by anachronism, Monday, April 24, 2017, 19:59 (2558 days ago) @ Hobie

There was a book written about him by a contemporary family member, published in 2014, but I can't find a copy of it anywhere. I got interested in him because I saw a rifle at a gunshow inscribed to him from the 7th Cavalry. It takes a special person to get a presentation rifle from a cavalry brigade.

A bit more info for you.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 07:21 (2558 days ago) @ anachronism

Dr Arad Harvey Mann

by Kathy Cummings @, Monday, June 03, 2019, 21:01 (1788 days ago) @ Hobie

I read about Dr. Mann in a True West Magazine many years ago. A sub-title on the front page read: The Incredible Dr. Mann of Toronto. Since I live in Toronto, KS I read the story and then called a guy that lived on the north and edge of town named Mann.
He came right on down to my repair shop and read the story and told me that Dr. Mann was he great Uncle. His grandfather's brother. Then asked me if he could keep the magazine, which I of course have him. He has passed on now, and I don't know who has the magazine.

And still more...

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 07:23 (2558 days ago) @ anachronism

Dr Arad Harvey Mann - the book

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 14:44 (2557 days ago) @ anachronism

This has been an interesting discussion.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 17:53 (2557 days ago) @ Hobie

Toronto, KS isn't very far from me and I've spent may a weekend down there at basketball tournaments for my kids. Might have to swing over there some weekend and do a little looking around. Visit his grave and see if they have a local Historical Society. Most KS counties have them.

Dr Arad Harvey Mann - the book

by anachronism, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 19:41 (2557 days ago) @ Hobie

I've been trying to find a source for the book. Joseph Schultes great grandfather was A.H. Manns cousin. The book was published in 2014, and Joe acted as his own publisher. This suggests that he probably has copies of the book that he could sell if I could locate him. I believe he may be in the Cincinnati, Ohio area, or Covington, KY. These are just guesses though. The book was published in Illinois. The last email address I had for him was no longer valid. The guy was all over the net from 2010 to 2012, the book was published in 2014, and now I can't find a trace of him.

I got lotsa time in on this one, and I can't be missing the guy by very much.

RSS Feed of thread