Ruger 10/22 question...

by pokynojoe, Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:54 (4390 days ago)

I've been shooting my 10/22 more and more recently and the safety has become a real annoyance. I would like to change it to left hand. Apparently, I can purchase a dedicated left hand safety but the only ones I can find have a "big" button, and they can be "pricey". Also, apparently, once they are installed the rifle can be a "pain" to take down for cleaning. What I really want is one just like the "stock" one, but left hand. If anyone knows of a source for one of these, I'd like to know.
Barring this, can I just make a "slave" pin the same diameter of the safety and "push" it out with the pin, so's that the pin holds the detent? Once I do this, does anyone know how to modify the stock safety for left hand, or can you point me somewhere, where I can purchase a manual or instructions on how to do this?

By the way, I called Ruger and no dice.

Thanks
Joe

cleaning? Who does that on a .22LR???

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, May 13, 2012, 12:36 (4390 days ago) @ pokynojoe

:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Rod M, Sunday, May 13, 2012, 14:29 (4390 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'll clean my 10-22, but only when it starts sticking!

RodM

by pokynojoe, Sunday, May 13, 2012, 16:33 (4390 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness" Sister Adelbert Grades 3 & 4 Holy Infancy(1959)

by Catoosa, Sunday, May 13, 2012, 20:01 (4389 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

.22 autoloaders do get filthy if you shoot 'em. Always wondered why .22 rimfire ammo was so dirty.

That said, I rarely disassemble .22s. Canned compressed air or a good air gun will blow a lot of the gunk out, then just relube and keep shooting. When the gun quits working, take it down for a thorough cleaning.

As for the bore, unless it's rough and leads badly or you use crummy ammo, or it gets wet, the bore of a .22 will rarely need cleaning. I did more damage to the bore of my first .22 rifle with a crooked steel cleaning rod than with the thousands of bullets I put through it. That rifle (a Winchester 1906) will still hit aspirin tablets at 10 yards even though the rifling is barely visible.

RSS Feed of thread