Iver Johnson "Pony"

by ~JM~, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 13:09 (4542 days ago)

Just picked up an Iver Johnson "Pony" which is basically a scaled down 1911 in appearance that is chambered in the .380 cartridge. This gun is real clean with just a small amount of bluing break through on some of the sharper edges. I'd like to learn more about this little gun & what is the safe way to carry it. I don't think cocked & locked is the smartest way to carry it. What about hammer down on a loaded chamber with the safety applied?

Thank you
~JM~

Iver Johnson "Pony"

by JLF @, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 17:35 (4541 days ago) @ ~JM~

The Pony was picked up by IJ after Colt decided to drop the idea. This was well before their later 380s. It is in every way a baby 1911, and just like the big one, hammer down on a loaded chamber is a recipe for unathorized holes. Like the big one, either carry it cocked and locked, or with an empty chamber, end of story. JMO...

JLF

Iver Johnson "Pony"

by ~JM~, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 20:33 (4541 days ago) @ JLF

I was wondering if C&L was a good idea with-out the grip safety.

This little shooter is a great size & weight. Wish they had one like it in 22LR for a trail gun.

Thank you
~JM~

Iver Johnson "Pony"

by JLF @, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 21:12 (4541 days ago) @ ~JM~

They took on a bit of a following for awhile, but being IJs, they never really caught on and sold in any great numbers. JMO again, do what you feel comfy with in carrying it, but I would suggest that hammer down on a loaded chamber not be one of the options.

JLF

C&L it will be. (nm)

by ~JM~, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 22:13 (4541 days ago) @ JLF

nm

I have been enciouraaging Colt to bring out the Mustang in

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 21:41 (4541 days ago) @ ~JM~

.22 LR or make a 380 to .22 lr conversion kit. No American made small .22 LR autos right now. Very handy pistols...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Iver Johnson "Pony"

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, November 14, 2011, 12:39 (4541 days ago) @ ~JM~

I've got two of them had them a long time. Great little guns. As you can tell from the pic, they have been used.

[image]

Actually, one is a Star and the other is a Pony - same gun except the barrel lock up to slide is different.

Correction.

by JLF @, Monday, November 14, 2011, 14:53 (4541 days ago) @ ~JM~

Never trust an old mind.:) The Pony is actually patterned on the Star design, which has some differences from Mr. Browning's. No grip safety and a pinned, pivoting trigger are the two most noticeable. Also, the thumb safety is an improvement as it actually lifts the hammer off the sear when engaged. So the Pony is very much a baby Star PD.:) Operation, however, is the same as Colt's.

JLF

Correction.

by ~JM~, Monday, November 14, 2011, 17:30 (4540 days ago) @ JLF
edited by ~JM~, Monday, November 14, 2011, 17:35

When I first saw the gun hanging on the sale wall, my first thought was that it looked like a Star. I like the few Star handguns that I've seen over the years.

There was a Llama .380 next to it that is in real nice condition also.

~JM~

Correction.

by Catoosa, Monday, November 14, 2011, 22:18 (4540 days ago) @ JLF

If the safety is the same as the one on the Btar BM, it also positively locks the hammer back by turning the safety pivot pin into a notch on the back of the hammer. Best designed safety I have ever seen. The BMs (most of them) have non-inertial firing pins and are not safe with the hammer down on a round, but I trust C&L with them no problem. If the Pony has the same safety you should be good.

RSS Feed of thread