Older S&W Revolvers

by stonecoldrc, Saturday, November 12, 2011, 08:16 (4541 days ago)

[image]I got these three S&Ws from an older gentleman some time back. I just recently started shooting them a bunch. They are, from the top, a 1955 Target in 45 ACP, a 1950 Target in 44 Special, and at K 32. They are easy shooting, very accurate and pretty to look at. What's not to like? I guess my desire to buy older S&Ws and Colts come from reading lots of John Taffin's writings.

JT spurred a bunch of us on to collecting these obsolete gun

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, November 12, 2011, 09:37 (4541 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

I keep spreading the word Old S&Ws and Colt's are obsolete, hoping to drive the prices down;-) Hasn't worked. That it a great trio of S&Ws right there!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Drago, Saturday, November 12, 2011, 11:29 (4541 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Of course the younger generation thinks those obsolete guns are useless. They'll buy the latest polymer Wunder-nine, or Fabulous-forty, especially if it's got a laser attached, but they'll turn up their noses at a revolver of any caliber. Kids these days! SHEESH!!!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, November 12, 2011, 13:32 (4541 days ago) @ Drago

I love it when they come into the shop to get rid of Grand-dad's old revolver to buy a "good" Glock... I don't like it so much to see one sell all his family guns for money to spend on nose candy. We had one like that.

by Catoosa, Saturday, November 12, 2011, 21:26 (4541 days ago) @ Hobie

Yeah, but think of it like this, Hobie - if the kid is into that stuff, chances are the guns would otherwise wind up confiscated and melted down into fireplugs and manhole covers. At least they have a chance of going to someone who appreciates them.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, November 12, 2011, 22:36 (4541 days ago) @ Catoosa

That's a good point. It does sadden me to see that so many children stray from their parents'...

by stonewalrus, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 11:29 (4540 days ago) @ Hobie

I look forward to the day I can introduce my 4 year old to guns. We have been very discrete aroundd him and guns stay out of sight and locked up. He is still fascinated by guns and anything mechanical. He's going to have a fit when he finds out all the guns his dad and big brother have. I started out his big brother on a Single Six at 6. Momma wants me to start the little one out on a rifle instead of a handgun. Looks like I'll have shopping to do.

Starting kids with guns

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 12:23 (4540 days ago) @ stonewalrus

In my opinion, one of the greatest mistakes commonly made by people with small children is to make the gun into something akin to "forbidden fruit" or a mystery - which the child will be enticed to resolve. Remember Skeeter Skelton's story about his mom's 32 acp pistol and how he learned to pick the lock and get at it - when she wasn't around? Yes, safes with combination locks are much better at keeping kids out of the gun closet but they enhance the mystery part.

My kids both new

a) dad has guns
b) they are always loaded
c) where they were
d) you can look at them any time you want - as long as dad is around.
e) you can access them in time of need - but your need WILL be judged by dad later

They were introduced to them at the ages of 3 and 4 with the main lesson being, you can look any time, BUT only with dad present. Thus the guns were not a mystery nor forbidden and were taken as a matter of fact. Only once did the boys get into the guns without dad around. There was a rat in the house and they got out the pellet rifle and "took care of it", then put it back. When we got home we were regaled with how they figured out the safest angle from which to shoot, etc. And the judgment handed down by dad (according to point e) above) was simple - "Well done, boys. We're proud of you." One year we were up in the US and they had the run of an old farm outside town. Their BB guns and pellet rifle were available to them, and the rifles and pistol were in the closet - loaded - all the time. They never got into them as theirs were what they needed for recreation and they could shoot the others whenever they asked.

Forbidden fruit is enticing and leads to accidents. Treating ALL tools as matter of fact and teaching the safe handling of them (whether an ax, powersaw, pocket knife or firearm, etc) at all times keeps kids safer than locking them away in mystery land.

Of course, not everyone shares my views and that's OK. As a student of human behavior my views are developed from observing kids and how they react to the attitudes and teaching of the adults around them.

Starting kids with guns

by stonewalrus, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 13:14 (4540 days ago) @ Paul

We have had conversations about them already and that when he is older that he will get to. I have emphasized that they can be dangerous and must be handled with care. I think I may start him off with airsoft - something that didn't exist when his big brother was small. Different wife this time and while not anti-gun she is pretty paranoid about them. Not sure when I'll be able to take "her baby" hunting with me.

Starting kids with guns

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 14:04 (4540 days ago) @ stonewalrus

airsoft - makes a great training aid. I've had a couple kids up to the gun range, and watch how they handle their airsoft/BB gun. And try and drill it into their head that it IS a "real gun". That is one major problem with them - folks seem to think that safe gun handling doesn't matter since "it's only an airsoft". Let me tell you - it matters to ME! I don't care what caliber or velocity - I don't want shot with anything, thank you very much! Which is why I prefer to be at the range on my own. Don't have to worry about idiots and poor gun handling. But I digress.

My boys learned with their BB guns and pellet rifle and later airsoft. You DON'T allow that muzzle to cover anything that you are not willing to destroy.

Weaning moms away from their sons is not an easy task. I see guys that are 40 years old or more and their mom still won't let them grow up. :-) No, I don't think you're headed that way, it's just an observation. They talk about the "machismo" down here, but most of it is "feminismo". Women just won't let their "baby" grow up. That is why I thank God for the wife He gave me. We always saw pretty much eye to eye on raising the boys. And she toned me down and helped me become a better father.

Unfortunately, there is no "Raising Kids Cookbook" which ensures that if you have the right ingredients you'll always get the desired result. It's an art that you learn as you go along rather than a science you can learn in school. Observing families with different generations of kids is interesting. The ideas and techniques used by people as they age change quite a bit, sometimes for the better. Personally, I look forward to hearing about your upcoming hunts with the youngster, just like I'm enjoying hearing from my brother and his exploits with my nephew. Here's a shot of the lil' guy on the day he learned that earmuffs are a good thing! They are using the AK Church OM Single Six.

[image]

Starting kids with guns

by stonewalrus, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 14:29 (4540 days ago) @ Paul

My oldes has a CO2 airsoft that will go clear through a Coke can - close enough to real to not be a toy. We spent Veteran's Day shooting with a friend. We have a lot of good memories from hunting and shooting.

Airsoft

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 14:38 (4540 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Airsoft has come a long way. I've not had a chance to play with the CO2 versions yet. Does this one have a reciprocating slide?

What I find helpful with starting new folks is to show them the penetration/destruction capabilities of the various guns available at the time. SOMETIMES this helps to instill better gun handling in the person. If it'll go through a Coke can, do you REALLY want to take one in the heiny?

Airsoft

by stonewalrus, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 16:36 (4540 days ago) @ Paul

It is modeled after a Ruger SR9. I don't recall the slide moving.

Starting kids with guns

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Tuesday, November 15, 2011, 09:47 (4538 days ago) @ Paul

Same thing I've done Paul. We live in the country. My boys are now 12 and 8. The 12 year old is constantly practicing with his .22. The 8 year old has gone another way, and fancies himself a bow monkey. They both absolutely respect guns and I trust them both. Their friends, for the most part are raised the same way, but I make sure there is adult supervision when they are around.

I like the Herretts on that .44 - that's one of the good

by brionic @, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 12:36 (4540 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

ones with the wrap around checkering - much nicer than the later "panel" checkered grips that they started churning out. I have the same grips on my favorite Kit Gun and wouldn't part with 'em.

Nice trio!

Older S&W Revolvers

by stonecoldrc, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 16:12 (4540 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

I note several people have used the term obslete when referring to these revolvers. I don't think there is anything obsolete about them. I said "older", and to me, that is not a slap against them. It's more of a compliment. Older may be better in many ways in the case of some guns, just like older whiskey.

RSS Feed of thread