Taxing Christmas Trees

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 21:45 (4576 days ago)

Holy cow. If they would just tax stupidity, the government

by brionic @, Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 00:48 (4576 days ago) @ Hobie

would be solvent overnight and we could repay all debt before year's end.

Taxing Christmas Trees - DELAYED

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 15:03 (4575 days ago) @ Hobie

I guess they got a lot of negative feedback. I did see one article where the writer pointed out that this was ANOTHER election promise broken because this applied to EVERYONE, even those below the poverty level...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/obama-administration-to-delay-new-15-cent-...

Reading it again, I'm still befuddled. Who benefits, and

by brionic @, Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 17:07 (4575 days ago) @ Hobie

why?

Why does the Christmas tree industry need to promote it's image? Is there a competing industry that is trouncing the Christmas tree industry's business?

Why is the government involved?

Should there be a pumpkin tax next October to promote the Jack O Lantern lobby?

Should there be an additional tax on meat products during the summer to promote the barbecue industry? Or is this extra tax only appropriate for once-annual purchases that would not occur, but for the holiday?

Seriously, I don't get it.

Reading it again, I'm still befuddled. Who benefits, and

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 21:32 (4575 days ago) @ brionic

My wife made all the same points you did. It is just an attempt to grab more, and to heck with logic.

Taxing Christmas Trees

by Catoosa, Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 22:42 (4575 days ago) @ Hobie

Hey now, wait just a dang minute. CHRISTmas trees? That implies that CHRISTmas is a CHRISTian holiday celebration. The government can't be promoting anything to do with a CHRISTian holiday! They said so themselves! The ACLU will be all over them like a burqua.

So, if they can't promote CHRISTmas trees, why do they need a tax?

RSS Feed of thread