Cast HP load for coastal blacktails

by Glen, Sunday, November 06, 2011, 20:13 (4548 days ago)

In a couple of weeks I am going to go over to the Olympic Peninsula to hunt coastal blacktailed deer. Cover is thick, shots are short, and the deer aren't terribly large. I am going to be taking several guns and loads for this trip, but one that I am really looking forward to hunting with is the .357 Maximum Ruger Super Blackhawk loaded with the 208 grain cast HP based on the Lyman 358627 design.[image]

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, November 06, 2011, 21:03 (4548 days ago) @ Glen

Now THAT looks like quite a slug! In my opinion, that is what the Max was designed for, heaving a heavier slug at a fast pace rather than attempting to turn a light slug into greased lightning. Hope you get a crack at a nice one with that projectile, for science you know!

by Charles, Monday, November 07, 2011, 09:43 (4547 days ago) @ Glen

Let us know how it goes. That round looks like it has some authority.

by woody, Monday, November 07, 2011, 17:03 (4547 days ago) @ Glen

That is an awesome looking bullet!!! Please post results when you get a chance to put one through something.

by Dennis Eugene @, Prince of Wales Island Alaska, Monday, November 07, 2011, 18:56 (4547 days ago) @ woody

Be interested in knowing what area your huntin'. Born and raised spent 30 plus years in Forks. Only get back to vist ever other year or so but still have friends there. Dennis

by Glen, Monday, November 07, 2011, 19:52 (4547 days ago) @ Dennis Eugene

I'll be hunting outside of Sequim.

by bob @, Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 21:48 (4546 days ago) @ Glen

well, if I am up to it, we might head over to the Burnt Mountain/Beaver area where i filled my tag!
bob

RSS Feed of thread