In retrospect.... OK whats OODA?

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, August 17, 2012, 16:41 (4298 days ago) @ Fivegunner

A fighting system designed by Lt Col. John Boyd for aerial combat. The acronym stands for "Observe, Orient, Decide, ACT" There are a number of explanations, all windier than I like; but this will get you started

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop

In summary, I observed what experience tells me is suspicious or odd conduct. It was apparent that I had been selected for some purpose. I oriented by getting my gun hand ready, securing a reload and getting my window glass out of the potential line of fire. When the guy started for my car and turned his attention away momentarily, I decided and acted simultaneously to get off his line of attack and close on him. This put time and space in my favor and gave me the element of surprise. This disrupted his perception of how the event was to unfold. He was expecting to approach some old white guy who would give him money. The verbal dialog is a second, separate cycle that acted within--and in this case enhanced--the first.

Of course you're not thinking any of that while it's going on... you just see a potential battle coming on and you drive the unique circumstances to overwhelm a potential opponent(s) before they can do anything besides escape or lose big time.

What's hilarious this one is in the end, I gave him most of what he wanted. I'll give a guy 6-7 bucks if I think he needs it, but I won't have it taken from me without a fight.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread