Professional advice, there.....

by John Meeker, Sunday, August 12, 2012, 11:21 (4298 days ago) @ stock repair

When you go dowel shopping, your local hardware store/big box will have a good selection of 'twin-plunger tube' epoxies. The open working-to-cure time starts at five minutes, and up to 60 min. Labeled accordingly. The gives you an easy ten minutes of flow and jockey around time, and plent of clamp time. Set up the clamp pads and adjustments before you mix epoxy. Also, blue painter's tpe is a good way to mask off the stock grip, except for the cracks. Nothing like an undiscovered epoxy fingerprint cured where only a CSI investigator would love it.

When laying out the twin tracks from the push-tubes, keep them as equal as possible in volume. some brands are way stiffer in mix in one side, than the other. also, make more than you think you need, if you don't do this a lot. Goober it pretty good down in those holes, and I pump the dowek\l a bit to hydraulic the poxy into the smallest crack.

Even the simplest clamp with good pads, even improvised ones, warrants a good tight joing. You don't want a nice 1/8" epoxy fill where a nearly hairline crack was! ;~`)

Vinegar is a good clean up, on uncured goo, and I keep a wet rag of it handy, for those 'Oh S" moments, while working. Also, once the stuff has reached the pretty still, but plaiable stage, I carefully pare away and outflow form the crack, but do not pull, slice clean and parallel.

Anyway, if that all seems a little OCD, it's only because if something coulda gone wrong wrong in the process, I prolly had did it, or will, yet. Happy fixing. BTW, when ever-ever I ship lever guns, and I have anything to say about the packing, I like to remove the butt-stock. This appears fairly common damage, and for not being a gunsmith, I've fixed too many of them, for such breaks to be entirely random happenings.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread