Basic skills, cuz ;)

by Byron, Sunday, July 29, 2012, 13:53 (4298 days ago) @ Sarge

That looks like a great course to improve shooting skills...I will add it to my list of things to do when the temp outside drops below 104....it looks great...thank you...

In that you come from a Law Enforcement background I would expect that you are familiar with Col. Grossman: http://killology.com/....or should be...

He is an (the) authority on the psycology of deadly interpersonal violence...and how different training affects outcome.

Through WWII combatants trained in marksmanship shooting at bullseyes across a grassy field....combat stats and AARs from The American Civil War and WWI clearly show that only 20% of front line troops would even shoot at the enemy...most just could not bring themselves to shoot...this sounds absurd but is supported by much military history....

After WWII moves were made to force multiply by changes in training from shooting at bullseyes to more realistic training...practical shooting...

Results were dramatic...in Korea half the American troops would shoot...in "Nam over 75% and presently almost all American combatants will shoot if even giving a chance...all because of the training...

A stark example of this is the outcome of infantry battles during the Faulkins War...the Argentine army was modern and well equipted...supported by arty and air...the Brits fighting far from home against a dug in enemy...the Royal Marines slaughtered their enemy...again many Argentine troop had never shot anything other than a bullseye and just could not bring themselves to kill....

This is one of the reasons that the "first person shooter games" are so effective in conditioning to shoot without hesitation.....and a very worth while note here...all active shooters since and including Colembine were addicted to shooter video games...

Personally....my first time in a night time shoot house...flash light and loaded P35...room to room...truly...it was hard to shoot the life like targets...took a while to get past it....but I did...

Bullseyes are great for measuring shooting skill...sight picture and trigger control....but for really going at it for real and in volume....something more dynamic is also of great value...

Byron

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread