12mm pinfire

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, March 11, 2024, 08:18 (48 days ago) @ A K Church

Agreed that pin fires are odd.

I have read some modern accounts of reloading pin fired rounds. Basically is using a suitable centerfire case with either the primer pocket licked with a brass plug, solder or just a fired primer and ahold drilled for a simple brass rod for a firing pin. Drop a percussion cap into the case and line it up with the pin, push the pin in to hold it in place and go from there.

I’ve also read of a guy who added a center fire pin to the hammer of a bonfire gun and drilled out the recoil shield to allow use if standard, properly formed, centerfire cases. This was for reenactment use with blanks only. Not sure how well hit wood work with live fire but can’t see it being too horrible.

You mention low pressure, that makes me wonder what kind of pressures various black powder loads produce. I’ve always figured you cans stuff enough BP in a case to cause an issue (EK kind of priced that false), but it makes me wonder about such things as BP pressure of say a .45/70 vs a .45/90 or my little .50/45 vs a full length .50/70. It would be interesting if someone got their fancy piezo electronic deals really dirty and measure BP pressures of various loads and also of various powders including the substitutes. Hmmm. Off to google I go!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread