Are modern jacketed pistol bullets to hard for deer......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, November 19, 2023, 22:42 (166 days ago)

Average size deer with velocities in the 1,000-1,200 fps range.

Would a modern JHP with a behind the shoulder hit go thru with little to no expansion??? Would it be cheaper to just use a good hard cast lead bullet and make a caliber sized hole thru the deer. Is there any real good reason to use JHP/JSP on deer with classic shot placement?

I remember reading an article by John Linebaugh years ago about he and his wife's favorite deer load....a 45 Colt with a 255 gr LSWC in front of 8 grains of 231 powder, 900 fps if I recall correctly.

Problem currently is lack of in stock Speer 41 caliber 200gr half jack or 210gr Deep Curl bullets for purchase, I have some of both on hand but supply will run dry soon, then it will be decision time for a replacement for the 41 Special.

I like and prefer the Nosler 210 gr JHP for the 41 Magnum or the Sierra 170 JHP, which JD Jones called a very hard bullet, but have little faith in either expanding in the less than 1,200 fps range. Years ago Speer published velocity ranges for the then new Gold Dot, later the Deep Curl for reliable expansion but they no longer have any info on their website.

So would it make sense to just develop a good, 1,000-1,100 fps range 230 gr Keith bullet load and be done with it???????

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread