An old Remington Model 721

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, July 20, 2020, 10:27 (1370 days ago)

I picked up a first year of production (1948) Remington Model 721 in 30-06. It has the typical plain walnut stock with a Pachmayr Decelerator already installed. The metal is very good with the finish wear you'd expect on a hunting rifle this old.

[image]

It came with a nice Redfield steel mount and 'cam lock' rings and an old Bushnell Wideview 4 or 6 power scope. My Leupold Rifleman 3-9 will replace it.

The old gun has a 24" barrel with a nice bore. The rear sight was missing but I had a Marble's 68W fold down rear sight w/windage adjustment and a 1/16” gold bead to match. I easily achieved 100 yard zero. With that out of the way, mounted my Leupold 3-9x40 Rifleman; but the existing Leupold 700LA mount & rings wouldn’t allow the ocular far enough back for quick acquisition.

I already had a set of aluminum Leupold Rifleman rings and I wanted an aluminum rail with cross slots, to keep the weight down. I found a Leopold Back-Country rail locally. So my problems should be over, right?

Not quite. These old 721’s have a low comb stock, which to me means low rings. With those rings in place my objective bell kissed the front lug of the rail. So I hacksawed it off, squared it up with a file and gave it a dose of Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Didn’t turn out half bad and provided plenty of room for the objective bell.

[image]

All went well and zeroing was accomplished with seven rounds of Winchester 150 grain Power Point. This is easily one of the best shooting 30-06 rifles I’ve ever owned. Three shots at 196 yards (that’s where the shade was) including an adjustment, 1 ¾”.

[image]

I’ll be watching the back pasture for a coyote the next couple of mornings.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread