Anyone remember my Mushroom Gun?

by Otony, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 22:43 (1740 days ago)

Way back in the late’90s or early 2000, somewhere thereabouts, I posted about a much modified H&R single shot shotgun I owned that I had reworked into a handy companion for woods walking. It had a shortened barrel, some sort of BIG bead front sight, and a friend humored me and took the time to inlet a patchbox so I could stow some matches and fishhooks. Turned out real nice, and was a dandy gun to tote around.

Well, we take to the hills each year for either ‘shrooms or huckleberries, so I figured something similar to pack would be a good idea. I always take either a Ruger Vaquero in .44 Special, or a GP100, but I thought a short shotty might be a comfort. This is the result....

Shortened the barrel to 19”, for an overall length of 35”. Added a fancy slip-on recoil pad (the brand escapes me, sigh). It had a synthetic buttstock when I received it, but I added the forend as it has storage capability for, oh, matches and fishhooks! Last, but not least, I installed an old MMC sight I’ve had laying around for better then 15 years. End result is a modernized version of my old Mushroom Gun, and one that isn’t likely to get sold off or traded away any time soon.

Otony

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread