Ruger grip frame question.

by Murphy @, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 21:22 (1712 days ago) @ Jared

Thanks Jared.

This one will always be special to me. Back when Terry was actively writing quiet a bit, I couldn't get enough of his teachings.

Actually, I haven't owned a single action in decades, like since the 70's. I had a couple back then but wasn't into reloading and shooting at the time. Then, I discovered Ed McGivern's book Fast and Fancy Shooting. From then on, I was a die hard S&W fan.

Now the really great part. It was when Terry came to CSA some years back. I wound up sitting on the couch in the motel lobby with him and he happen to have a single action with him. He let me handle it a bit and it was one fine piece of metal for sure.

I'd never noticed until a friend of mine who owns Colt SSA's, pointed it out to me how the trigger set to one side and was not centered in the frame. He told me it was so the Calvary soldiers could hold the gun in their left hand, and use their sword with their right, as the sword was intended to be the main weapon in close battle. All a fella had to do was keep it in his left hand (thus the offset trigger), shoot it empty, open the loading gate, empty it and reload it with his right. I told Terry this and he looked at me like I must be from Mar's.

Anyway, Terry sat there that evening and showed me the 'proper' way to load and unload a SAA, PERIOD. Furthermore, he didn't care what John Taffin had to say about it either. What a hoot.

So yeah, this one is staying with me.

Murphy

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread