Fitz Gunfighter grips on j-frame

by Norm, Sunday, March 17, 2019, 19:50 (1860 days ago)

I've developed "trigger finger" in my right middle finger that limits my strength and range of contraction. I wanted a little longer grip so my little finger can compensate, as well as a substantial filler behind the trigger guard. Daryl Bolke mentioned Ahrends f-Frame Banana Grips, which looks very similar to the vintage factory j-frame banana grips.

These reminded of the old Fitz Gunfighter grips, which seemed exactly what I wanted. In the picture from Chic Goylord's book note how far down the filler goes, almost completely filling the space behind the trigger guard. I found a pair on ebay and was really excited when they came in this weekend, but they would not fit any of my carry j-frames.

I looked closer, and noticed what I circled in the picture!! The grips cover some of this Chief's cylinder latch! The grips weren't fittingmy guns because of their newer, larger cylinder latches. I dug out my recently acquired 1953 flat latch "baby" Chief's Special, and the grips fit perfectly and the whole thing fits my hand perfectly.

I'll try the Ahrends, but right now I'm thinking about finding an old flat cylinder release latch, or grinding down one of the new one.

[image]
[image][image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread