The spade type works better on other materials, they tend to

by John K., Monday, March 11, 2019, 21:00 (1884 days ago) @ Gunner

Tear wood unless everything is perfect. Slow down feed helps.

End mills - i use a lot of harvey tools, they are really good. Lakeshore carbide is another, but those are way overkill for wood. I use them on 316 stainless. I would try whatever endmill was available on a test piece and if happy with the results, then order the same in the right diameter.

Another thing, dunno what rpm you were running, but it should be high compared to metal cutting. Too high with a slow feed will cause burning, of course. However, if you were getting good results with your endmilled notches, you're set.

Yes using the mill, actually don't own a drill press since I got the mill. I am using two step type bits to cut the screw holes, one a industrial type two stage, while I like it better, though the shoulder cutter has a slight radius edge on it. The other cutter is one made specially for this job, spade blade type, it cuts a nicer shoulder but is harder to use and have clean cuts in the scales.

It is kinda funny, I focused so much on using the end mills to do the notching it didn't dawn on me to use a end mill to do the screw holes : (

Have to pick up a couple end mills, do some math and try it that way. Any preferred brands of end mills and a good source to buy them?????? I follow Helical and Harvey Tools on Instagram, they are really nice but seem on the high end, not sure I need that pricey of a end mill for what I am doing.

Thoughts and recommendations are welcome,

Gunner

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread