Starting kids with guns

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, November 13, 2011, 14:04 (4541 days ago) @ stonewalrus

airsoft - makes a great training aid. I've had a couple kids up to the gun range, and watch how they handle their airsoft/BB gun. And try and drill it into their head that it IS a "real gun". That is one major problem with them - folks seem to think that safe gun handling doesn't matter since "it's only an airsoft". Let me tell you - it matters to ME! I don't care what caliber or velocity - I don't want shot with anything, thank you very much! Which is why I prefer to be at the range on my own. Don't have to worry about idiots and poor gun handling. But I digress.

My boys learned with their BB guns and pellet rifle and later airsoft. You DON'T allow that muzzle to cover anything that you are not willing to destroy.

Weaning moms away from their sons is not an easy task. I see guys that are 40 years old or more and their mom still won't let them grow up. :-) No, I don't think you're headed that way, it's just an observation. They talk about the "machismo" down here, but most of it is "feminismo". Women just won't let their "baby" grow up. That is why I thank God for the wife He gave me. We always saw pretty much eye to eye on raising the boys. And she toned me down and helped me become a better father.

Unfortunately, there is no "Raising Kids Cookbook" which ensures that if you have the right ingredients you'll always get the desired result. It's an art that you learn as you go along rather than a science you can learn in school. Observing families with different generations of kids is interesting. The ideas and techniques used by people as they age change quite a bit, sometimes for the better. Personally, I look forward to hearing about your upcoming hunts with the youngster, just like I'm enjoying hearing from my brother and his exploits with my nephew. Here's a shot of the lil' guy on the day he learned that earmuffs are a good thing! They are using the AK Church OM Single Six.

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread