Home Meat Grinders

by cr, Friday, November 11, 2011, 21:30 (4549 days ago) @ AaronB

As far as sinew...she who must be obeyed insists upon total removal. Even the light facia and not just the heavy sinew has to go. End up with a lot of dog meat, but I end up with enough deer every year that a little waste is not an issue. Whether burger or sausage, quality in...quality out. Make sausage with junk trimmings and you get junk sausage.

I use a LEM Bass pro stainless #32 hand grinder. I can do fifteen to twenty pounds without too much problem working by myself. I made the mistake last year of doing fifty pounds at once...NEVER AGAIN with a hand grinder.

I have been wanting to hook up a motor, but cannot find a pulley. The LEM shaft has a unique taper. I have been watching for quite a long time for a cheap commercial on a store closing, flea markets, etc. but it ain't happening. A new heavy duty is a budget buster. I wish I knew..best bet is too keep watching and a deal will come along one day.

I agree about the meat needing to be very cold. Also, another little tip...cut the meat into about one inch cubes. Measure out the spice concoction and put in a big jar. Add about equal amount of water and shake well and put over meat cubes as a slurry. Rinse the jar with a dab of water to clean out the jar and add all the goody. Mix into the cubes in a big tub thouroughly by hand and then grind course, mix by hand just a little and grind again through fine plate.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread