FT .45

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, November 11, 2011, 12:40 (4550 days ago)

Amazing! Finally got around to scrubbing out the FT after last Sunday's session (it has been in service all week). No leading at all, this is a first. I loaded the 284gr 270-SAA over 9grs of Unique, bullets were sized at .452. Now, when I load this particular bullet sized at .452, I have to seat them deeper than I do for any of my other 45 Colts, almost like they were a thousandths off on the chambers, the bullets will just pass through with minimal effort. So I seat them a little deeper and crimp on the driving band. Accuracy was good, would be much better if I had more trigger time. I have been sizing them at .451 so I could just seat and crimp them normally, but they leaded, not badly, but enough that first inch or so of the barrel. Now, I will say that the Lee RNFP bullet sized to .452 chambers with no difficulty at all, but it still leads the barrel pretty good, figure it is those little grease grooves. So, I am happy with the results, may need to get the chambers reamed, but I am scared to mess with success. I am still in love with this sixgun, it certainly isn't as powerful as a .44 Magnum, but for me it has plenty of horsepower, and it just stir something inside, being a nostalgic kind of fellow, I am sure it has to do with the fact that it has been proving itself for over 138 years.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread